Sunday, December 03, 2006

Honda 600RR rebuild - Day 9

The current condition of the bike. Replaced the 05 wiring with the 04 wiring and the bike runs great.
Lots of smoke from the oil that was all over the headers when I replaced the filter and added new oil.

I'm using a gixxer battery that's a bit too tall for the bike so the rider seat won't fit on, so I'm using a pair of blue jeans as a ghetto seat cover to ride it up and down in the hood.

Only has 4300 miles on it, but the new engine actually only has 2500. Yes, I'll eventually replace the housing when I get the bike all pretty again.

I had so much trouble with the wiring that I figured... hey, instead of trying to get it to work using the 05 set, why not drop in the 04 even though people said that it wouldn't work... Well they are wrong. The engine works with the 04 wiring harness flawlessly. Started her right up with no hesitation! There was some oil on the headers when changing the oil so that's why it was smoking... not because I fucked up the 2nd engine...

Took a little test drive this morning around the hood and it drove great, brakes handled good, and suspension felt unusually rough, but I think that's because my ass was hurting from the no seat setup... :p

The only problem that's left is the Map Sensor is broken, so I actually have the tube directly super glued to the opening intake valve (for the vacuum). Then the front stay bracket, which is bent the fuck up. Didn't seem like it, but when I put the head lights on, it's been bent back by a good 10 degrees and the faring won't bolt on. I also have to get a new RR battery. I'm using the gixxer battery which is way too tall and won't fit in the battery box and the driver seat won't fit down (that's why there's the blue jeans on the bike... ghetto seat). And lastly, the most important one, My radiator fan doesn't want to turn on for some odd reason... I let the engine idle for 5 mins and let the temp get up to 225 degrees and the fan did not turn on at all. I might have to go back and look through the manual because I'm pretty sure the fan would turn on by then... But I do have the wires ghetto spliced together since I'm using an 06 radiator and the connectors aren't the same off the 04's... Don't ask me why. Honda likes to change the stupidest stuff.

I went in half with my friend on an 03 600rr last month (toyotafj40s), which I told him to buy, just so I could use it as a 3d reference manual... :P The project Took 7 months but I had lots of legal crap, my 15k knee surgery because of the wreck, lots of school work, and I have two jobs... So not much time is left on working side projects. I probably on spent about 1 weekend a month working on the RR and it's finally working. I picked up some cheap plastics off ebay today too.