Sunday, April 29, 2007

AMA motorcycle racing weekend

WOW....

All I have to say about that. I won some VIP passes to the AMA Suzuki SuperBike motorcycle races this weekend from www.sportbikes.com. I was so enthustastic about it, but I only found about the winning last Monday. I pretty much had to plan my whole trip on how to get out here to California. So I booked my airfare and hotel for about $1000, since it was last minute, and since I was investing a lot of money, time, and stress (I have exams next week...) I would make the best of it. I bought a nice Canon 70-200mm f/4.0 EF L telephoto lens, 430EX speedlight flash, two extra 2GB Compact Flash cards, and some other random accessories. That's about $1200 for that stuff. So the plan was to get as much work done as possible for a school project and hope on a plan to SoCal Thursday afternoon, then I plan return Monday and get through my final exams.

Anyhow, I arrive late Thursday night and planned to attend the practice session friday. I meet owner of sportbikes.com, Mike DiSabatino, and find out that the VIP passes still has some restrictions, but I then ended up getting a full fledge media pass. That's unrestrictive so I can go anywhere on the track and this gives me an ample opportunity to play with my new telephoto lens. Not only that, but I got to meet plenty of other photographers, magazine editors, publishers, racers and other interesting people.

I took over 2600 pictures Friday, which had about 1100 turn out to be good, and took over 4300 today. I haven't gone through it all since it's a lot of pictures, but I hand picked a few of them and posted it up on my album. If you want to see some pictures of the event so far, just visit my photo blog at jbazpics.blogspot.com - I'll add more pictures in the near future.





Labels: ,